“We’re not out of this by a long shot. I’ve had my back to worse walls than this.”
- Davey Johnson
Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images North America
He’s correct! Here’s a partial list of the worst walls Davey Johnson has had his back to:
- Marge Schott’s office, on the Nazi memorabilia side, 1995
- Dwight Gooden’s kitchen, 1987
- Roberto Alomar’s rec room and its famous “wall of loogies,” 1997
- Stockton Ports clubhouse shower, 1962
- Wal-Mart electronics section, Black Friday sale, 2009
- Kevin Brown’s punching bag wall, LA Dodgers clubhouse, 1999.
Johnson added that Roger Waters’ recent tour was the best Wall he’d ever been up against, the Wallflowers were the worst Wall he’d ever had his ears to, and that Wall-E was an underrated classic he’d never turn his back to.